Error Deleting Web Application (AGAIN)

Last Friday, I upgraded our 2010 SharePoint Farm to 2013. I had done it in development many times and wrote down all steps and caveats for a smooth upgrade. Once the time hit (6pm on a Friday), I began the upgrade process. Everything went smoothly except for our Forms Based Authentication site. When I ran the command to attach/upgrade: Mount-SPContentdatabase -Name -WebApplication http://webapplicationurl, it said the upgrade completed with errors. I thought it may have been some leftover references to the Forms Based Authentication Tool that was installed but retracted before doing the backup (Awesome tool by the way, you can download it here) but when I checked the upgrade log, it actually showed that the upgrade session Failed! Oh no. I checked the web application in central admin but it showed no content databases attached to the web application. Double “Oh no!”. My next step was to try to attach and upgrade again. Continue Reading

SharePoint 2013 – Error deleting web application

Yesterday, I was performing a database attach and upgrade from 2010 to 2013 SharePoint instances. I have done it previously without an issue but this time, I had to delete the prior application and recreate it (as a classic authentication application) before attaching and upgrading the database. The reason for that was being the current application was already converted to claims based authentication and when I first tried to attach the database from the 2010 “classic authentication” app, it was giving me an error. The classic authentication SharePoint site is currently a production site and we did not want to convert to claims BEFORE migration so I needed to create a classic authenticated app in SharePoint 2013.

After attempting to create the classic authentication application in SharePoint 2013, I received an error (this error will be discussing in another blog post). I tried deleting the web application and receive an error. It stated:

Sorry, something went wrong

An object of the type Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPIisWebsiteUnprovisioningJobDefinition named “Unprovisioning (AppName)” already exists under the parent Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPWebService named “”. Rename your object or delete the existing object.

Continue Reading